Okay so I have been on vacation the past week and have spent my time diligently working on my family members and friends to be interested in what I am interested in. And that is K-dramas.
Here is the problem though. Even though it is FREE, people do not want to take the time to download dramafever or viki. I mean, yes there are commercials, but it isn’t that bad.
Nonetheless, I cannot fight a losing battle. So I have come up with a new battle plan. Netflix and Hulu. Almost everyone I know has one or the other. There is also amazon prime, but someone else will have to help with that, because I don’t use that.
Anyways, there are many K dramas offered on Netflix and Hulu, but which one do you recommend? Because most likely your top five aren’t on there. And even if they were, maybe they really aren’t starter dramas. So….I have made a list.
Basically, I hope they have Hulu because they have tons of good options. I could keep going after five. But Netflix has a bunch of dramas that I haven’t seen yet. So I just can’t tell if they are any good or not. And I am already behind on all the dramas I want to watch. If you can get your friend interested, try to switch them to a drama app. It will make their life so much easier. I use dramafever, but viki is more user friendly. I actually use viki to look for my next drama and then actually watch it on dramafever.
These lists don’t have to follow this order necessarily. In fact, you should decide based on the person’s preference. But I did it this for the following reasons:
- You’re Beautiful- This is a good starter drama. It is super silly and the boys aren’t really the cutest boys ever, but it is short and sweet. And it might just be enough to get them hooked. And if nothing else, it will give them an idea of what you are now spending all your time on these days.
- Healer-This one is probably not the best for a beginner because the beginning is so boring that even I didn’t actually watch it…But if you have someone who is willing to give it a try all the way through…this drama gets good and then it gets great. And swoon worthy….like very swoony. So yeah. This is a fun one.
- Boys Over Flowers- Officially, I do not love this drama. I didn’t even finish it. But it does have Lee Min Ho and three other relatively good looking actors. Also, it has all the crazy tropes you can want. Your friend might make fun of you after this drama, but if they like it, they will be hooked for life. I mean, Lee Min Ho. ’nuff said.
- Sungkyunkwan Scandal- This is the only one on my actual top five list, but it is towards the bottom of the list here because I just feel weird about having someone start out with a historical or saguek drama. But this one is funny and cute. So much cute. And it is a saguek-fusion, so it doesn’t have too much politics and stuff.
- Moonlight Drawn by Clouds- Park Bo Gum!!! My love, what are you doing at the bottom of the list? Oh well. It is because of the whole historical drama thing and also, I technically didn’t finish this one either. But I watched most of it, and I know how it ends, and it is cute. And Park Bo Gum is SUPER cute.
- Bonus because I just couldn’t help it. W- Two Worlds. Very cute adventure story. If your friend has ever dreamed about a fictional character coming to life, this may just be the drama for her. 🙂
And for Netflix:
- Boys Over Flowers- See above reasons and add to it that Netflix just has less options.
- Descendants of the Sun- I haven’t actually seen all of this one, but it is very popular right now, so it must be okay, right? I hope so anyways. (It is also on Hulu)